Saturday, May 13, 2006

Dr. Who gets a Gay Companion



Alright, I admit it. I'm a fan of the British Sci-Fi series "Dr. Who". Always have been after a good friend turned me onto it in the early 80's. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

It was good to see that the series was under production again in the UK and I've been looking forward to see if the 21st century was going to bring any new ideas to the series that started in the mid 1960's. I've made it a point NOT to look on the web for British sites that I'm sure are spoilers. The Sci-Fi Channel has picked it up and is running it on Friday Nights at 9:00 PM on the US East coast. The only thing is that the US is running a season behind the UK. UK is already showing the next season.

I LOVE IT. A lot. The new stories have been, of course, updated to fit into a new generation of fans, but also have things that long-term fans can "catch" and enjoy.

I do however, miss the cliffhangers and lengthy stories of the old series. Only a couple of the new ones have been 2 parts. Not the 6 and 7 part episodes of the past. But that cool. Something one can overlook if the stories are decent. And they are.

Last nights episode "The Doctor Dances" had something that shows how far the UK has come on gay rights. It added a gay, well........bi-sexual Companion: Captain Jack, a time-traveling "Rogue"

I picked up on the "Vibe" but so far, he's a fun and intelligent AMERICAN gay man. Not really my "Cup Of Tea" but still...........

Check out the link to the BBC Dr Who site

No comments: