Thursday, August 10, 2006

"V For Vendetta"



There are a few of you who know how much I enjoy movies. I'm a huge fan of classics such as "Casablanca" "The Maltese Falcon" "Double Indemnity" and "Gone With The Wind". These movies are from an era that will never be again. Well written, acted, and filmed and still relevant today as they were fifty years ago.

There's a film out on DVD that every American should see. In particular, every gay American. "V For Vendetta" was released last week and I've finally had a chance to see it. I had wanted to go to the theater to see it, but working graveyard, I never had the chance. It was a breath of fresh air in the George W. Bush Era.

First off, most of you don't know this, but I was a comic book collector for a long time. I stopped in about 1992 because the new comics coming out were poorly written and you had to buy a lot of different titles to read the entire story arc. I refused to buy into that marketing ploy.

I have around 30,000 comics stored. Yeah, I know, it's a pain in the ass to store, but I've got it covered.

The original "V For Vendetta" was an Alan Moore creation in the mid eighties that I actually dug out and reread before I bought the movie. I'd forgotten how good it was!!!!

Published during the Eighties and during the height of the Reagan and the Thatcher Dynasties, it was a cautionary tale of government intrusion in everyone's lives. At the time everyone thought ideas like the ones portrayed in the comics were basically silly and overblown, and that the novel "1984" was just a panaroid wacko leftist tale that would never happen.

Now flash forward 20 years.

It doesn't seem so outlandish now.


Filled with images of government agents busting down doors in the middle of the night and making people who question the government "disappear" seems to be a real possibility and more then likely already started. The Government using the media to manipulate thought and action is reminiscent of the "War On Terror"."V For Vendetta" is a cautionary tale that should be seen!!!!

I'm actually surprised that there wasn't a more rabid response from the Wacky/nutjob Right on this great film. And yet another example why Natalie Portman is one of the finest actresses working today.

Like the slogan for the film says"People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments. Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People".

SEE IT!!!!!

1 comment:

liberal redneck said...

Sadly, the wacky nutjob right didn't see this film, 'cause it wuzn't marketed on ESPNFOXMSNBCNN. Wonder why?